Wedding Ceremony FAQs

Wedding Ceremony Frequently Asked Questions

Here's some common questions I often get asked about wedding ceremonies in Queensland.  Please let me know any others you may have in the comments below.

Trudy the Celebrant x

Q. Who can I have as witnesses?

A. You can choose anyone you know and trust as long as they are over 18 years old.  They do not have to be part of your bridal party and can include members of your family eg mothers, grandmothers, brothers, sisters.

Under section 44 of the Marriage Act , a marriage may not be solemnised unless at least two persons are present at the ceremony who are, or appear to the person solemnising the marriage to be, over the age of 18 years. These are the persons who will sign the marriage certificates in their capacity as the witnesses to the marriage.

Q. What paperwork do we need to complete?

A. Section 42 of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth) requires the parties to an intended marriage to give the authorised celebrant at  least one month’s written notice prior to the solemnisation of the marriage. This notice is known as the Notice of Intended  Marriage (NOIM).

You can fill this form out with me, and I can witness it for you.

The next piece of paperwork is the Declaration of No Legal Impediment

The final pieces of paperwork are signed on your wedding day with your two witnesses: the Celebrant’s ‘register’, the Marriage Certificate and your Marriage presentation certificate that you keep.

Q. How should the NOIM be signed?

A: The NOIM should be signed using the person’s usual signature.

Q. What name should I use to sign on our wedding day?

A. The marriage certificates should all be signed using your usual signatures. The signatures should be the same as the signatures on the NOIM and on the declarations ofno legal impediment (formerly called the Form 14). The certificates should be signed in the pre-marriage names.

Q. Do I need to be a resident or citizen of Australia to be married in Australia?

A. No