As a celebrant I've been involved in many garden weddings. They are always beautiful.
On a wonderful, perfect temperature spring day without rain in a lovely lush setting, a garden wedding can be something many young girls (and not so young) dreams of for their wedding day. Unfortunately sometimes things can go not according to plan (or long held dreams!). If you have your heart set on a garden wedding, don't let fear stop you. With some careful planning you can pull off a wonderful and beautiful garden wedding even if things don't go to plan.
My top tips are:
- have a back up plan, particularly for bad weather; consider hiring a marquee, having inside somewhere near by, or supplying lots of umbrellas if only a light mist (have plenty on hand from friends/family for 'just in case'!)
- always check with the council on rules, regulations and potential cost if thinking of a public (council) area
- ensure you include detailed information about how to find the venue in your invitations, and ensure clear signage at the venue for your guests to find you
- check if you need a microphone, outside venues can be harder to hear, your celebrant or venue co-ordinator should be able to assist with supplying if you need
- ensure your guests are comfortable, is there shade available, somewhere to sit before / after the ceremony, ceremony seating for those who may require it
- think about bugs
- think about lighting for photos
- weather proof decorations
- weather proof refreshments
- what will your guests do while getting your photos taken??
Here's some suggested Brisbane wedding venues and hire options for a garden wedding:
Beautiful Weddings - Outdoor Wedding Venues Brisbane
Garden Party events - lawn games for hire
Here's some fantastic checklists, tips and advice for planning your dream garden wedding:
The Knot - The Outdoor Wedding Planning Guide
Easy Weddings - Garden wedding: tips for a beautiful wedding
Martha Stewart Weddings' - Your ultimate garden wedding checklist
Garden Wedding Expert - A garden wedding consultant